Roger Federer's smooth approach makes him the best his game can get

EXCLUSIVE By Mike Dickson Tennis Correspondent

Razor-sharp: Roger Federer has had better luck than scandal-hit Thierry Henry and Tiger Woods since starring in Gillette’s high-profile ad campaign


As Tiger Woods prepares to step back into the maelstrom, what of Roger Federer, who he has been compared to so often and has starred alongside in those cheesy razor commercials?

The so-called Curse of Gillette may have afflicted Woods, handball villain Thierry Henry and the chronically injured David Beckham, but Federer sails on serenely.

In a rare interview, the 28-year-old Swiss delivers a warning to the rest of the field that he is ready to extend his dominance, speaking of the 'peace' he felt inside while beating an anxious Andy Murray in January's Australian Open final.

This is very bad news for his challengers, and a riposte to those of us who speculated that, with a record 15 Grand Slam titles bagged and the distraction of having two daughters in tow, his reign might be nearing its end.

He has suffered two surprise defeats since defeating Murray, losing to Cypriot Marcus Baghdatis in the third round at Indian Wells and to Czech Tomas Berdych on Tuesday in the fourth round of the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.

But he insists there is no reason he should not go on for several years yet, and when you are up close and have a look at his right arm protruding from his T-shirt, you get an indication as to why.

For where the likes of Nadal and Murray have developed huge biceps with which to muscle the ball, Federer is merely toned. His forearm is sinewy rather than resembling a side of beef, and tells of someone who strikes the ball with beautiful fluidity and an economy of effort that minimises damage to his body.

His mind is clearly also in good shape, with none of the angst that the British No 1 spoke of last week when he lost in the first round of the Sony Ericsson Open.
One theory about Murray's recent slump is that he is still coming to terms with losing that final in Melbourne.

Before the match, Federer appeared to employ some smart psychological tactics against a player with a history of causing him trouble.

First there was the amusing jibe about Britain waiting, 'what is it, about 150,000 years?' for a champion, and then the spelling out of the relative pressure on the two players approaching their showdown.

Federer denies he was trying to psych out Murray, but emphasises how well prepared he was for a match that saw him restored to his very best.


Rare reverse: Federer suffers a shock defeat by Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic in the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami on Tuesday


'It wasn't deliberate, I was just being honest,' he insists.

'I was asked to analyse it, so I did.

'It wasn't to put pressure on Andy. Look, it's not easy to win your first Grand Slam and it was always going to be far easier for me to win a 16th.

'If it had been going for my 15th, that might have been different, but I've already got the record, so I felt in a state of peace before that match - it was a great feeling.'

Federer maintains that suggestions his rivalry with Murray has a personal edge are exaggerated.

'If you're open about it people say you are too aggressive, but then if you are over-complimentary it sounds like you are being fake,' he says.

'I understand that people want to make out there is something between us but I don't think there is.

'If I have ever criticised his game it's in the context of it being at a very high level, and smart people will realise that this is really a compliment. I think he has done very well and I have a lot of respect for him. Anyway, I can't shout out too loudly about our rivalry, because he still has a lead in our head-to-head.'

If the exquisitely mannered Federer is diplomatic about Murray, he is definitely too smart to reveal what he really thinks about Woods's shenanigans, but lists him unselfconsciously among the sportspeople he truly admires.

'The ones who inspire me are those who can do it again and again at the highest level - Valentino Rossi, Michael Schumacher, Tiger, Michael Phelps. It's amazing to me that I have been able to do something similar.


Top of the pots: The Swiss notched up his 16th Grand Slam win against Andy Murray in the Australian Open

'I also got inspired watching the Swiss athletes at the Winter Olympics, especially the downhill and cross-country skiers.'

Federer is certainly more of a Renaissance Man than Woods. After winning the Australian Open, he went from one extreme to the other, first experiencing the glitzy shallows of Milan Fashion Week as a guest of Vogue Editor Anna Wintour, before swapping that for four days in poverty-sticken rural Ethiopia, inspecting one of the five projects his charitable foundation funds in Africa.

Not that his friendship with Wintour appears superficial. She is a regular in his box at the US Open and was down in Miami to visit him at this week's tournament. On the subject of fashion, his choice of clothing is the one area in which his Wimbledon appearances have attracted the odd snort of derision.

There have been, for example, the cruise ship purser's look and the gold braided jacket with '15' printed on it to mark the number of major titles he had won.

Federer bristles ever so slightly at this but remains sanguine: 'I think it's important to look nice and it's something I've enjoyed working on with Nike.

'I walked out with that jacket on at Wimbledon in 2005 and I guess we have upgraded it more and more.

'Maybe some people thought it got a bit out of control. I didn't know about the jacket with 15 on until it was brought out on to court for me.

'All I'm trying to do is make it a bit more exciting and I think you should be allowed to take a risk. You have to wear all white at Wimbledon and that can be a touch boring.'

An addition to these outside interests was the arrival of twin girls last summer, Myla and Charlene.

Not even this has blurred his focus, although those close to him say the hidden key to his success is that his life runs like a Swiss clock.

His time-management skills appear to have survived fatherhood, which - in terms of his tennis - he has embraced as a challenge rather than as an encumbrance.

'The travelling has been really easy. I'm surprised how easy, because I expected it to be much harder,' he says.

'The little ones had a few issues after Australia with teething, ear infections and stuff and Mirka (his wife) was sick and so was I for a bit. But now everything is great again, and as the days go by they become more and more active and it's great to interact with them. It's a lot of fun.'


Family man: Federer abides by values set by his father Robert and mother Lynette


Nothing seems to distract him from the punishing work ethic and self-discipline that underpins his genius.

While being bewitched by the beauty of his tennis game, his durability and bloody-minded determination are attributes which are easy to overlook. This stems, he says, from the values that were instilled in him early by his parents Robert and Lynette.

'My parents would always ask me to ensure that I didn't waste their money when I was using practice courts or getting coaching as a kid. They always said that they didn't mind driving me around Switzerland every weekend to play in a tournament, just as long as I put in a good effort and a decent performance.

'They were fine whether I won or lost, as long as I tried hard and didn't waste their weekends. The work ethic I have today stems from that simple thing.
'There were times when people thought it was all pure talent and that I didn't need to fight hard because it all came so easy.

'I went through a phase when I would always win easily in best-of-five matches or lose in straight sets.

'So I was pleased when that phase came to an end, it was when I lost 9-7 in the fifth to Marat Safin in the 2005 Australian Open. That drove me on to get stronger physically, and I've enjoyed the five-set battles since then.'


Pure gold: Six times Wimbledon champion Federer wants to break Sampras' haul


This would explain arguably the most extraordinary record that Federer has amassed, one that any athlete in any sport would struggle to match right now, which is his achievement of reaching the semi-finals of the last 23 Grand Slam tournaments.

If he ever gets existential about what he has left to achieve, there is always Pete Sampras's tally of seven Wimbledon titles to break - Federer is still on six.

Federer will be back there this summer, settling into a routine which includes his habit of watching cricket on television while having a massage

'It's a nice game, very relaxing to watch,' he says.

His one regret about Wimbledon is that he did not make a pilgrimage there during the ATP World Championships at the O2 Arena last November.

'I went there once in December a few years back and it was beautiful to see the Centre Court empty when the nets were down and they have that little fence around the grass to keep the foxes off.

'I just sat there for a few minutes on my own in the quiet and took it all in.'
Peace indeed.


source :dailymail
bloggpingMy Ping in TotalPing.com

Popular Posts