My Eurostars! Marathon rail trip boosted team spirit, says Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez

By John Edwards reports from Madrid

Training day: Steven Gerrard gets to work in Madrid after Liverpool's epic journey


Rafa Benitez has brushed aside suggestions his side's 1,200-mile trek to Madrid would damage their chances of European glory.

The Liverpool boss believes his travel-weary players have developed a Dunkirk spirit that will safeguard them from the draining effects of their marathon journey by rail, plane and bus to face Atletico Madrid in tonight's Europa League semi-final, first-leg.

Benitez said: 'The travel arrangements were not ideal, but we have derived some benefit. Everyone has stuck together and that has been so good to see. In terms of the spirit of the team, it has been a really positive experience.'

Liverpool touched down at Madrid airport on Wednesday afternoon, 24 hours after being dropped off at Runcorn station for the first leg of their trip. Benitez had voiced concerns that a slump in form had impacted on team spirit.

But he said his players had been brought together during their three train journeys, six coach transfers and a flight from Bordeaux.


Weary: but Mascherano says Liverpool are up for their Europa League clash

Benitez said: 'I know there were concerns before we set off, but I have seen how the players have coped with all the travelling and I can tell they are in good shape. It won't be difficult to motivate them.'

Midfielder Javier Mascherano looked weary at a press conference but insisted there would be no lingering ill effects for the first leg tie.


Am I on the right platform? Rafa Benitez boards the train at Runcorn


He said: 'It has been a long trip but we are ready for the challenge. I want to go all the way in this competition and make sure we have something to show for our efforts. If I didn't think that way, I wouldn't have gone on a 24-hour journey.

'For me, and my team-mates, it is important and I feel I know them that bit better after the last day or two.'


source :dailymail
bloggpingMy Ping in TotalPing.com

Popular Posts