Martin Jol snubs Fulham as Ajax convince former Tottenham manager to stay in Holland

By Sportsmail Reporter

Amster-damn! Fulham failed in their bid to prise Jol from Ajax


Martin Jol has turned down Fulham's offer to step in as Roy Hodgson's replacement at Craven Cottage.

Jol has committed himself to the European giants after days of negotiations between the Dutchman, Fulham and Ajax.

The 54-year-old told the Cottagers earlier in the week that he was ready to take over the hot seat vacated when Hodgson left for Liverpool.

But Ajax have assured Jol of their ambition and promised him transfer funds, which has convinced the former Tottenham Hotspur manager to stay at the Amsterdam Arena.

Jol said: 'Ajax let me know they didn't want me to go. And I don't think I can bring myself to leave Ajax at this time.

'I came here last summer to be successful, the build a good team and to have fun. And those three things are what I am interested in achieving next season.


In demand: Luis Suarez has been tracked by top clubs across Europe


'It was always my intention to build Ajax further. It is full speed ahead and we all need to roll up our sleeves. That is essential.'


Departed: Liverpool boss Hodgson


Fulham were convinced they had got their man when details of talks emerged at the weekend, with Jol frustrated that he could not achieve his dream of winning the Dutch league with Ajax while working under serious financial constraints.

Several players have left the Dutch club this summer, while none has been signed, and there are a number of European clubs eyeing up Uruguay forward Luis Suarez and emerging right back Gregory van der Wiel.

Jol still has concerns but is committed to turning Ajax around.

'We have held detailed talks in the last few days,' he said. 'The club and I share each other's concerns. Everyone knows that Ajax has financial difficulties.

'Last year we lost another million. But what is equally annoying is that we want to perform better next season than last season.

'The expectations are always high at Ajax. But now I have lost, among others Marko Pantelic, Dennis Rommedahl, Kennedy (Bakircioglu) and Gabri, and nobody has been signed. Also, there is uncertainty about whether key players will stay.


'I received offers from other clubs in April and May, and I brushed them aside, but this time my agent Mino Raiola held serious talks with the British delegation.


'I am pleased that these hectic days are over. Together with the club I am looking to the future. We now have a priority and that is Wednesday's (Champions League) game against Panathinaikos.

'And we want to strengthen the team. Both on and off the pitch it is an exciting time for Ajax. We are all going to do our best to quickly get the team to the desired level.'


source:dailymail
bloggpingMy Ping in TotalPing.com

Popular Posts