WORLD CUP 2010: Come on England! Fabio Capello has Final dream in sight for Three Lions

By Matt Lawton and Matt Barlow in Rustenburg

Come on England: Captain Steven Gerrard knows the nation expects a good start against the United States in Rustenburg


England launch their World Cup campaign against the United States with manager Fabio Capello fixing his sights on the final.

Capello admits he is living a dream as he carries the hopes of his adopted nation on to football's biggest stage.

On Friday night, he declared James Milner fit to play in England's first match. The midfielder has missed two days training this week with a stomach virus.


The news means Milner will almost certainly start ahead of Joe Cole as Capello looks to the Aston Villa midfielder to provide extra defensive cover for Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard in the centre.

On Friday night, after watching his team train here, Capello said: 'I am a normal man. But, yes, my job is important at this moment because the World Cup is important for the country, the fans.

'I understand perfectly it is a tough job - not only for me but for all managers - because you can feel that, behind you, you have a whole country. I feel a great responsibility. I feel a nation, the whole people, but I always like difficult things.


Talking tactics: Fabio Capello goes through his pre-match instructions with his England squad


The news means Milner will almost certainly start ahead of Joe Cole as Capello looks to the Aston Villa midfielder to provide extra defensive cover for Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard in the centre.

On Friday night, after watching his team train here, Capello said: 'I am a normal man. But, yes, my job is important at this moment because the World Cup is important for the country, the fans.

'I understand perfectly it is a tough job - not only for me but for all managers - because you can feel that, behind you, you have a whole country. I feel a great responsibility. I feel a nation, the whole people, but I always like difficult things.

'It is a dream. It was a dream to be England manager and I hope the next dream comes off, too. Why not?

'In my career as a manager, I have built teams, worked with teams, with players, and I have always been focused to win.

'That's all that matters to me - to win and get to the final. In my mind, we play to win. That's all. I exist to win.

'The challenge is to win. Anything else is just words. We have to win. No more. It is fantastic for me. Exciting.'

But Capello gave a warning to his star striker, saying: 'Wayne Rooney played all the qualifying games for the World Cup and had no problems with the referees. I hope we see the same Rooney during the World Cup. I have spoken with him but Rooney is a fantastic player because he wants to win. But you have to be careful every time and you have to be careful and respect referees.'

England are itching for their games to begin after two weeks in a training camp in Austria and 10 days at their World Cup camp in Rustenburg.

Capello, who played for Italy in their disappointing 1974 World Cup campaign and was omitted four years later, said: 'When you arrive here it's completely different. You have to live for one month with policemen, press conferences every day, TV, everything, at every moment.

'You switch on the television and it is all about the World Cup. There is really strong pressure from the media. We have to live with this pressure. It is not easy. But I try. We try.'

The manager said he will tell his players the team just before they leave for the stadium today and called for England fans to rally behind the side as they did in the qualifying campaign.


Return to fitness: Gareth Barry is back for England but will not start against the United States but James Milner (R) could after recovering from illness


'My team, I think, is OK,' he said.

'We have arrived at a good moment. We trained really well, we spoke with the players.

'The players will be really focused. The altitude and the balls are terrible… terrible. It's impossible to control when you play long balls, but I hope I can help the players to be perfect. Also, the performance like a team will be really good.

'Usually the first game is hard because the expectation and pressure is big.
'We are sure we can go forward in this competition. The biggest challenge is to win.'


Raring to go: Wayne Rooney prepares for England's opening Group C clash


Capello said Gareth Barry would start on the bench, and the manager is also seriously considering a first competitive appearance for rookie goalkeeper Joe Hart, although he remains concerned by the 23-year-old's lack of experience and may well yet turn to Robert Green.

He has already dismissed David James amid concerns about his knee. Capello appears to think the problem has damaged the 39-year-old's confidence in training.

Hart has been the best of the three keepers all season as well as the best in training since the squad flew out to Austria.

Up front, Emile Heskey is almost certain to get the nod ahead of Peter Crouch for the place alongside Rooney.

Crouch has scored 21 goals in 38 internationals but Rooney, in his last nine starts with Heskey, has scored nine goals.

source: dailymail
bloggpingMy Ping in TotalPing.com

Popular Posts