Rafael 'the champ' Nadal is in town to win back his crown (watch out Roger Federer)

By Mike Dickson

The ascension of King Rafa: Nadal's climb into the family box two years ago is one of the most memorable images in Wimbledon history


The last time Rafael Nadal struck a ball on the Centre Court it was so dark the scoreboard had taken on the look of Blackpool’s Illuminations, glowingly recording a historic five-set victory over Roger Federer that finished at 9.16pm.

The 24-year-old Spaniard can claim never to have been beaten at Wimbledon since, so in a way it might be said that there are two defending champions back at the All England Club next week.

Federer is here and so is Nadal, who could be found practising yesterday with Andy Roddick after the long weekend he spent back home in Majorca, following his quarter-final defeat at Queen’s Club.

Happily, there are no signs of the knee problems that caused the 2008 champion to stay away a year ago, and it is far from guaranteed that any Spain versus Switzerland clash that takes place two weeks on Saturday will end in the same way as the one in the World Cup last week.

Snatching a few precious days on the island that boasts him as its most famous son has refreshed Nadal for the task ahead.

‘I had a very good time there,’ he said. ‘I played golf a couple of days, went to a party with my friends on Saturday night, stayed with my family, went to the beach. Only problem, my golf was terrible, always is this time of the season as there is no chance to play.

‘I practised tennis for two-and-a-half hours Monday and Tuesday, but when I am there I can have a completely normal life. I never want to go anywhere else in the summer.’

It is easy to tell how much his achievement of 2008 means to him when he describes the trophy as having pride of place among the many others he has collected, including five from Roland Garros.


Changing of the guard: Roger Federer had won the previous five Wimbledon titles before his defeat in 2008


‘We’ve got a room with a sofa in it and a big TV. I’ve got the Wimbledon trophy on top of the TV. It’s in perfect condition. The French Open trophies, after a year or two they go dark and you have to polish them.

'I’ve got my five Roland Garros trophies in there, and my five Romes, six Monte Carlos and five Barcelonas, but Wimbledon is in the middle of all of them.’

It was not something he ever thought he would have in his collection.

‘This was more than a dream. Spanish players in the past thought it was impossible to win here, almost like a different sport, but when I reached my first final in 2006, I thought, “Actually I can do really well here”,’ he added.

‘Last time I was here it was dramatic: no sun, just dark, and if I hadn’t won that last game we would have had to stop because you couldn’t see. It was the most emotional moment of my career.’

Nadal could hardly bring himself to watch Wimbledon last year back home in the Balearics.


Slow start: Nadal underachieved at Queens club, where he traditionally he has done well


‘I saw the whole of the final and a bit of Djokovic’s quarter-final, but not much. This wasn’t an easy time for me and there were a few problems at home, too,’ he said, referring to the split of his parents, something which hit him hard.

Despite the difficulties with his knee, which last flared during his Australian Open quarter-final against Andy Murray, he has rebounded beyond all expectations and looked simply unbeatable throughout the clay-court season.

He admits that the effort required to show everyone that he was the same old Rafa has taken it out of him.

‘I’m not tired physically but for me the clay-court season had a lot of emotions. There were some very happy moments and a lot of intensity,’ he said. ‘You go down a bit afterwards but I will be ready for here. I’ve lost a bit of tension.’


Sign of the future: Nadal heads into this year's tournament as world No 1


His defeat in the quarters at Queen’s has been largely dismissed, but it is notable that in 2008 he won that title despite having come straight from a triumph in Paris. It was the same scenario this year, but he could not replicate it.

Few, however, would have believed Nadal would be entering this Wimbledon in such good shape when they saw him retire from the match against Murray in Melbourne.

He believes that the outcome of the final there may be connected to the subsequent slump of the Scot, whom he could meet in the semi-finals here.

‘It’s not easy to accept losing a Grand Slam final sometimes. Even me,’ says Nadal. ‘I thought Andy was going to win, but Roger played very well. Mentally that could have been difficult, but Andy is an amazing talent and is a great competitor.

'He can play on all surfaces and he is one of the favourites here.’

Nadal, it must be said, looks very comfortable ahead of the big fortnight and loves the fact that he stays in a house just a few minutes from the All England Club.

‘I walk to the courts every day, it feels more like I am at home. I cook every day, although I can only do pasta, and I think it’s better in the players’ lounge. Toni (his uncle and coach), he never cooks, but sometimes does the washing up.’


source: dailymail
bloggpingMy Ping in TotalPing.com

Popular Posts